Re: can't install from a local repository

Christopher Curtis wrote:

Eric: This is really very simple.
I think part of the problem, is that the original problem got lost. I'll snip your comments, because I believe I understand and correctly have implemented what you talked about. The problem is that for some reason, I can't install the package in my repository and I get this message:

root@nuffin:/etc/apt# apt-get update
Ign file: archive/ Release
Ign file: archive/ Release
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done

root@nuffin:/etc/apt# apt-get install spinelli
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Package spinelli has no available version, but exists in the database.
This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency and
never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the contents
of sources.list
E: Package spinelli has no installation candidate

And to make a long story short, I've built all kinds of different package structures to match those given as examples. Nothing fixes this problem. I created the Packages.gz file with apt-ftparchive packages <dir>. The Packages.gz correctly points at the .deb file, but for some reason I can't load it.

I've verified that the package isn't already loaded using apt-get remove.
I don't care about any source, so I've tried eliminating Sources.gz & any .dsc & tarballs - leaving nothing but Packages.gz & a .deb file.
I've set the source file to point at the correct archive.

ewinger@nuffin:~/archive$ ls
Packages.gz  Sources.gz  binary-i386  source

sources.list looks like:
deb file:///home/ewinger archive/
deb-src file:///home/ewinger archive/

That's where I'm at... so I've covered the arch issue with i386. It seems like I should be able to install my little test package. Maybe that clarifies the problem better. I hope. thx much.

Eric