Re: Questions about filesystem layout for new package nisca

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 12:43:45PM -0500, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> Hi. I have decided (and gotten permission) to package NISCA, which is a program
> that is similar to but more customizable than MRTG. It is written in php, so
> there are no compiled files.

Thus all files are architecture independant. Those go to
/usr/share/<package>/ as stated by the FHS.

> It has one configuration file (functions.php),

/etc, probably /etc/<package> as the filename is not easy to
identify with the package it belongs to.

> a few PHP scripts not meant to run under the web server but as daemons or
> one-time scripts,

Scripts should go to /usr/s?bin, as long as there is a chanche
they will be run from the commandline. /usr/sbin might be
preferable since they are not meant to be run from an ordinary
user. You also need an initscript in /etc/init.d to start the
daemons I think.

> a few .sql files to set up things in MySQL,

/usr/share/<package>, unless needed elswhere by MySQL.

> and a few PHP
> HTML files meant as Web pages.

Place them in a subdir of /usr/share/<package> and place a
symlink in /var/www, the default wwwroot on debian systems.

> Plus a README and INSTALL file.

The README should go into /usr/share/doc/<package>, the INSTALL
probably not unless it contains instructions how to configure the
package.

> How would you
> suggest I integrate all these files into the filesystem?

Please read /usr/share/doc/debian-policy/fhs/fhs.txt.gz and
/usr/share/doc/debian-policy/policy.text.gz (in the package
debian-policy) if you need more explanation of my answers.

    Ingo
--
16                      Hard coded constant for amount of room allowed for
                        cache align and faster forwarding (tunable)

-- seen in /usr/src/linux-2.2.14/net/TUNABLE