Re: Using DDTP translations

Il giorno Sat, 17 Nov 2007 13:01:26 +0100 (CET)
Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> ha scritto:

> On Fri, 16 Nov 2007, David Paleino wrote:
>
> > Yes, especially Spanish I think.
> >
> > The problem is: do we have active contributions from those languages?
>
> I'm working on this.  The work might be easier if we actually show our
> interest in actively supporting the language on our pages.

es_ES and jp added to the update-ddtp script.

When you edit the script to add new languages, please remember of taking also
the flag icon (I took those from WikiMedia Commons)

> >> Regarding to the idea of reproducing our static pages above I would
> >> suggest to have a new link (for instance "Packaging status" as a short
> >> cut for the headline "Packaging status and prospective packages")
> >> and the task files to build separate pages (there are just to many
> >> projects in some sections).  What do you think about this.
> >
> > Can you elaborate a bit more? Should we use task files to get those packages
> > parsed and printed out?
>
> Yes, that's the idea.  You did half of the step for the DDTP pages and
> while I regard the DDTP sentinel as a really useful tool I think it just
> came into beeing because of a missunderstanding of my featur wish.  My
> original idea was just to reprocude exactly the pages like
> http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-med/microbio, etc by parsing the
> task files and verify whether the package exists in Debian.  In case
> it exists obtain the description an create an entry in the style we
> have choosen for the existing packages.  In case it does not exist
> take the description, Homepage, if exists WNPP bug number from the
> task file and put it on the list in the style that was choosen for
> inofficial packages (if such a thing is given in the task file) or
> in the style of prospective packages.

Understood, thanks.

> For the later ones we have no descriptions in the DDTP and thus we
> have to stick to the English description.

Sure, that's not a problem, once the script recognizes a package as "not
present" (be it unofficial or prospective)

> But we could at least try to compile a translated list for the real Debian
> packages and thus we could gain a fairly translated list of Debian-Med
> packages online that is updated immediately with checking in new task files
> which would be a really great feature (which for this reason was put on top
> of the todo list).

The update would not be immediate after commits. Consider that all the job is
done by Python scripts run by Cron. If we want immediateness, we should add the
scripts to the post-commit hook, but it's not advisable, since they take a
long time to complete.

Kindly,
David

P.S: starting a manual run to include the two new languages

--
 . ''`.  Debian maintainer | http://snipurl.com/qa_page/
 : :'  :  Linuxer #334216  |  http://www.hanskalabs.net/