Re: Using DDTP translations

Il giorno Mon, 12 Nov 2007 08:05:02 +0100 (CET)
Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> ha scritto:

> Well, you are Italian?  Just motivate your fellow students to start
> translating package dscritions! ;-)))

Well, I know no-one who is using Debian. I mean, IRL.

I know some Ubuntuers, but they literally tell me (joking) "Well, aunt Debian
does all the effort for us! Thanks aunt! :)". And they're not really
"developers" (in the widest meaning you can give to this word).

> So far for the criticism ;-).

:)

> Well, I just have another one for the technical side:
>
> Example adun.app, quoting from the French and German section:
>
> French:
>     Kurzbeschreibung: ...
>     Ausführliche Beschreibung

> I'd regard it a little bit confusing when the internationalisation of the
> web interface causes "Short description" to be translated into my locales
> "Kurzbeschreibung" and "Description" translates into "Ausführliche
> Beschreibung" for every language and than I'm reading foreign language
> text behind this translated item.  For the reader there is a conflict
> between the (localized) functionality of the page and the data which
> are not localized (for sure - the clue is to have the foreign language
> there).

Right.
The "{short,long} description" strings are in the
compiled .mo/human-readable .po files. We can leave that in English if you wish.

> My suggestion is to just leave out (short) description and just make it
> clear by using reasonable layout:
>
>    Translation of short description
>      Here comes the translated text of the long description which is
>      indented (like it is in the Debian control format) and it is
>      self explanatory that this is a long description and thus we
>      do not have to mention this explicitely.

This is better than leaving those strings in English; I'd probably try something
like that.

You can even try by yourself, if you feel comfortable with HTML :). Just edit
the template which is in SVN.

Tonight I'll try to achieve that btw :)

> A further hint would be that you could simplify the work of your fellow
> Italian translators and place a link near those package description that
> are not yet translated which either points to

Maybe you missed the icons on ddtp.php? :)

For each package there are different icons for different statuses:

- translated descriptions get a tick sign, which links to the summary page on
our website, and an arrow sign (yes, that's a "redo", but I didn't find any
pencil or kind in openclipart's collection), which links to the ddtss2 (or
whatever) page, which also Grisu provided in his reply.
- untranslated descriptions have a red cross icon, which links to the ddtss2
page.

Maybe you just missed them? They're there since the first version of our ddtp
interface :)

>    1. A web interface that enables translation (Grisu, do we just have
>       this or is ddtp only working with mail interface).  I remember that
>       we talked at DebConf about such a functionality but I do not remember
>       the outcome and I just lost track of the status quo of DDTP - sorry
>       for my ignorance.

That's just ddtss2 AFAICT.

>    2. Generate a DDTP e-mail that could be send to the vistor to ask him
>       for translation.  You need to open a window asking for visitors
>       e-mail adress and explain what he has to do once he is reciving the
>       mail.

Well, no. A guy sent me an email asking if translations were anonymous; I
answered yes, and he started translating. He was pt_BR, AFAICR(emember)

> All in all: Many thanks for your effort David

I hope all this can be easily used by other CDDs :)

Kindly,
David

--
 . ''`.  Debian maintainer | http://snipurl.com/qa_page/