Re: Using DDTP translations

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007, David Paleino wrote:

Great news:

hanska-guest@alioth:~/debian-med/scripts$ time ./update-ddtp

real    27m46.577s
user    0m14.877s
sys     0m1.872s

Sounds really good.

Kindly,
David (who expects many criticisms on the new DDTP section :) )

Well, you are Italian?  Just motivate your fellow students to start
translating package dscritions! ;-)))
So far for the criticism ;-).

Well, I just have another one for the technical side:

Example adun.app, quoting from the French and German section:

French:
   Kurzbeschreibung: Simulateur moléculaire pour GNUstep
   Ausführliche Beschreibung
   Nouveau programme extensible de simulation moléculaire qui inclut
   également des fonctionnalités de gestion des données et d'analyse.

   Page d'accueil : http://diana.imim.es/Adun

German:
   Kurzbeschreibung: Molekularsimulator für GNUstep
   Ausführliche Beschreibung
   Dies ist ein neues, erweiterbares Molekularsimulationsprogramm, das auch
   Analysefähigkeiten und Datenverwaltung beinhaltet.

   Webseite: http://diana.imim.es/Adun

I'd regard it a little bit confusing when the internationalisation of the
web interface causes "Short description" to be translated into my locales
"Kurzbeschreibung" and "Description" translates into "Ausführliche
Beschreibung" for every language and than I'm reading foreign language
text behind this translated item.  For the reader there is a conflict
between the (localized) functionality of the page and the data which
are not localized (for sure - the clue is to have the foreign language
there).

My suggestion is to just leave out (short) description and just make it
clear by using reasonable layout:

  Translation of short description
    Here comes the translated text of the long description which is
    indented (like it is in the Debian control format) and it is
    self explanatory that this is a long description and thus we
    do not have to mention this explicitely.

A further hint would be that you could simplify the work of your fellow
Italian translators and place a link near those package description that
are not yet translated which either points to

  1. A web interface that enables translation (Grisu, do we just have
     this or is ddtp only working with mail interface).  I remember that
     we talked at DebConf about such a functionality but I do not remember
     the outcome and I just lost track of the status quo of DDTP - sorry
     for my ignorance.

  2. Generate a DDTP e-mail that could be send to the vistor to ask him
     for translation.  You need to open a window asking for visitors
     e-mail adress and explain what he has to do once he is reciving the
     mail.

All in all: Many thanks for your effort David