Re: newbie and nervous cell

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Christian Heller wrote:

> /*
>  * ImageJ is open-source. You are free to do anything you want
>  * with this source as long as I get credit for my work and you
>  * offer your changes to me so I can possibly add them to the
>  * "official" version.
>  *
>  * @author Wayne Rasband (wayne@codon.nih.gov)
>  */
>
> There is no license specified there. On their homepage, they say:
> "Public Domain": http://rsb.info.nih.gov/ij/docs/intro.html
> So, in my understanding it would be possible to take the code and
> put my own license statement there, as long as I mention the name
> of Wayne Rasband?
> I would eventually like to take the ImageJ sources and make a
> ResMedicinae (GPL) module of it. Would I violate anything here?
While I assume that you know it does not fit normal rules of
politeness I consider it also as a task of a Debian developer to
give those upstream authors advise about their broken "license"
and suggest to use something like GPL or other free licenses.

It is for their own safety and we should not hide this knowledge.
If you are no license expert there is the debian-legal mailing list.