Re: newbie and nervous cell

Hello Wayne,

I'd like to tell you something about licensing your project. If you
know my following arguments already, then just ignore them.
I hope the other readers of this list will correct any errors...

1 Public Domain
Public Domain software is open but it does not ensure that
other software derived from it will be open, too. Public Domain
means that anybody can take your code and do with it whatever,
even put his/her own copyright on it and use it commercially.

2 Copyright
Your remarks "ImageJ is open-source ..." are not valid as long
as you don't put at least your copyright there, for example:
Copyright (c) 2001-2002. Wayne Rasband. All rights reserved.

3 License
If you want to ensure that your code stays open and any derived
work will be offered/returned back to you, then you _have to_ state
a license in every piece of source code (file)!!! I recommend GPL.
See: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html

4 Code example from Res Medicinae (.java source file header):
/*
 * $RCSfile$
 *
 * Copyright (c) 1999-2002. Christian Heller. All rights reserved.
 *
 * This software is published under the GPL GNU General Public
License.
 * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
 * modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
 * as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
 * of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
 *
 * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
 *
 * along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
 * Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA
02111-1307, USA.
 *
 * http://www.resmedicinae.org
 * - Information in Medicine -
 */

5 Question:
We would eventually reuse your code in our project which stands under
the GNU GPL license (like most of Linux). Would you "allow" us to
reuse your code? Perhaps we can discuss further details outside this
list?

Regards,
Christian