Re: Results for Debian's Position on the GFDL

Adam McKenna <adam@flounder.net>
> On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 03:50:54AM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> > Adam McKenna <adam@flounder.net>
> > > What's the difference?
> >
> > One has 'or' and the other has 'and'.
> > Your lack of attention to detail is troubling.
>
> Thanks for pointing out the obvious with an obtuse, glib comment.  I can see
> you're interested in having an intelligent discussion.

You often seem to use sarcasm unmarked. I thought that was another example.
I mean, it seems fairly obvious what the difference is!

> The point was, if you're making copies for yourself, you only need to follow
> the license terms with regard to yourself.  Whether the license says "or" or
> "and" in this case is irrelevant.

Not really: if it said "and" it would be limited to certain cases.
The "or" case gives us an obvious and troublesome example.

> > > of copying).  It says that you can't try to prevent the people you give
> > > copies to from making further copies.
> >
> > No, the licence requires you 'not use technical measures to obstruct
> > or control the reading or further copying of the copies you make or
> > distribute.' It does not limit this to the people to whom you give
> > copies.
>
> But if you haven't given the copies to anyone, you can't be trying to
> obstruct or control the reading or further copying done by anyone except
> yourself.

It seems fairly obvious that other people may have access to a copy that
I made without me distributing it to them, especially on multi-user systems
like debian.

> I understand what you're trying to say, but it's wrong.  You are insisting
> on a basically insane literal interpretation of the license.

Good way to show interest in intelligent discussion(!)
For an encore, will you compare me to Hitler?

I consider my interpretation far saner than inserting random extra unwritten
limits into the licence, such as excluding non-distributed copies. If you
showed references to support ignoring whole rafts of English copyright law,
I'd be more respectful of your arguments and wild claims.

Best wishes,
--
MJR/slef