Re: Results for Debian's Position on the GFDL

"Raul Miller" <moth.debian@gmail.com>

> On 3/15/06, MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> > "Raul Miller" <moth.debian@gmail.com>
> > > Same thing goes for a brick wall -- a brick wall can prevent
> > > unauthorized copying, in the sense you're using.
> >
> > I can see some difficulty in proving they are technological, but
> > if a marker pen can be classed as a circumvention device, it seems
> > possible that they might be technological measures sometimes, if
> > they are doors or walls designed to prevent such copying.
>
> I don't have a clue what you're saying, here.

Rephrase: I don't agree the same goes for a brick wall because it's
not technological, but sillier decisions have been made before.

> > > Same thing goes for the atlantic ocean -- the atlantic ocean can prevent
> > > unauthorized copying, in the sense you're using.
> > >
> > > Notice a trend here?  None of this has anything to do with preventing
> > > someone who has a copy from making unauthorized copies.
> >
> > That situation isn't my main concern. File permissions clearly
> > "obstruct or control the reading or further copying of the copies
> > you make or distribute" as well as meet the definition of a
> > technological measure.
>
> Only when file permissions that you control are applied to copies
> you distribute to someone else.  If you've given someone else a
> copy and they can't control the file permissions on a copy, that
> would be a problem.

Why is distribution important? It's a copyright licence, not a
distribution licence: it covers making copies, too, and that's
mentioned explicitly in that clause too.

> But I don't see why this should be considered a serious issue.

It's less generally troublesome than unmodifiable sections, but it
seems no less serious to me.

> > > Do you seriously believe the GFDL prohibits the atlantic ocean?
> >
> > It's very hard to argue that the atlantic ocean was designed to prevent
> > unauthorised copying, which is part of the legislative definition here.
>
> That was my point:
>
> An argument which would treat the atlantic ocean as DRM must
> be wrong.

And my point was: my argument would not treat the atlantic as DRM.

Hope that explains,
--
MJR/slef