Re: Free documents using non-free fonts - can they be in main?

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 11:31:31 +0100 Frank Küster wrote:

> >> He has.  Just comment out the \usepackage line that changes the
> >> font, and do the correction.  This is really not a freedom issue.
> >
> > If it's just so easy to make the document rebuildable with free
> > fonts, why don't you do that once and for all?
>
> <mode=repeat>
> because we would have to check the new line, paragraph and page
> breaking still makes sense, especially in the two cases that are a PDF
> presentation.
> </mode>

So, from the user's standpoint it's not a "just comment out the
\usepackage line"...
Rather, it's a

  1. comment out the \usepackage line
  2. fix the whole document so that it adapts to the free fonts
  3. check if the result is acceptable, otherwise goto 2.

Your claim that this is *not* a freedom issue, looks like saying that a
statically-linked binary executable program is DFSG-free just because
the program source is free, even if the used library is non-free:
a user who wants to rebuild the binary using only things in main, can
always choose a DFSG-free library that provides similar functionalities
and adapt the program source to the new library (which, say, is
API-incompatible with the non-free one).

I'm not convinced by such an argument.
I think that this *is* a freedom issue.

--
    :-(   This Universe is buggy! Where's the Creator's BTS?   ;-)
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4