Re: Let's stop feeding the NVidia cuckoo

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 14:50:20 +0100 Måns Rullgård wrote:

> Suppose I hired an artist to create some artwork for my programs
> (logos, icons, etc.), and I was only given PNG files with the
> completed images.  Would this make the entire package non-free?  Of
> course I could as the artist for whatever "source" he might have,
> which be may or may not be willing to give me, probably depending on
> license terms and amount of payment.  Even if he did give me all the
> "source" files he had, these could still be in a "bad" format
> requiring non-free software to be useful (e.g. Photoshop).  How should
> such cases be treated?

Let me compare your example, with the following one:

Suppose I hired a programmer to create some modules for my programs
(low-level functionalities, etc.), and I was only given precompiled
object files to link my program against. Would this make the entire
package non-free?

  *Yes*

Of course ask the programmer for whaterver "source" he might have (C,
assembly, ...), which he may or may not be willing to give me, probably
depending on license terms and amount of payment. Even if he did give me
all "source" files he had, these could still be in a "bad" language
requiring non-free software to be useful (e.g. proprietary compilers or
assemblers). How should such cases be treated?

  *Contrib* (because of non-free or non-packaged Build-Depends:), as
  long as the package is DFSG-free itself

The same applies to images with no source available or with source that
requires non-free components.
Of course, when source is really unavailable: sometimes the PNG image is
source itself, sometimes it's not...

--
          Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4