Re: Let's stop feeding the NVidia cuckoo

Måns Rullgård <mru@inprovide.com> wrote:

> Whether a PNG should be considered source or not depends on the
> content.  If I made a PNG consisting of a white background with a
> black rectangle, I probably wouldn't bother to save any other format.
> If the image were made up from many elements with transparency etc.,
> saving an XCF (or equivalent) would make sense, so the elements could
> be repositioned and a new PNG generated.

Ok. I have some sympathy with that viewpoint. However, people should be
aware that adopting this standard /will/ put us at odds with the
community as a whole, not to mention the practical implications of
having to check every single graphic file in the archive.

While it would be nice to have that level of ability to modify pictures,
it's not clear that lacking them is a significant impediment to the
ability to provide free software. If it was, I'd have expected rather
more wailing and gnashing of teeth by now.
--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.legal@srcf.ucam.org