Re: cdrecord: weird GPL interpretation

On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 11:00:28PM -0400, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 08:16:27PM -0400, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> >> Because "fee" is an English word meaning a payment for a good or
> >> service.  It really doesn't mean "money only," in any context where
> >> precise language is used.  If I have to perform in some way to obtain
> >> a license, then that's a fee.
> >>
> >> Do you have a better word, taking brevity and clarity into account?
> >
> > Requirement.
>
> That's a much broader word.  For example, a license which says I may
> only make modifications in French has a requirement, but that is not a
> fee.

The point was that "fee" is a narrower word, and its use in this context
("explaining rationale") is awkward, and only invites dictionary debates.
I believe both "requirement" and "restriction" are better choices here
(personally preferring "restriction" for its easy relationship to "may
not restrict" in the DFSG).

I don't think having to explain to the world at large in the readme why you
did something is a fee or payment.  We don't need to agree on this point,
though; it's clearly a restriction.  What matters is whether the restriction
is considered onerous or not; whether it's a fee is irrelevant.

--
Glenn Maynard