Re: cdrecord: weird GPL interpretation

Andreas Metzler <ametzler@logic.univie.ac.at> writes:

> Brian Thomas Sniffen <bts <at> alum.mit.edu> writes:
>> Raul Miller <moth <at> debian.org> writes:
> [...]
>> There's an additional problem: cdrtools, at least as Debian
>> distributes it, uses some code for which Schilling is not the
>> copyright holder.  The HFS support, for example, is copyright Robert
>> Leslie, and licensed under the normal, sanely interpreted GPL.
>>
>> cdrecord is not distributable by anybody, including Schilling, in this
>> state.
> [...]
>
> cdrtools consists of a bunch of largely independent applications and libraries
> (e.g cdrecord, readcd, mkisofs, cdda2wav), debian/copyright lists the licenses
> and copyright holders in detail.

> The two issues mentioned in this thread influence different parts of cdrtools:
>
> * defaults.c       /*
>          * WARNING you are only allowed to change this filename if you also
<snip>
> This one is used and linked against all applications of cdrtools since 2.01a26
> (previously only in cdrecord). If it is GPL incompatible it indeed breaks the
> e.g. mkisofs' and cdda2wav's original copyrights.

That's certainly GPL-incompatible.  It's an extra restriction.  Since
it affects functional behavior, I'd call it non-free.  "You must
change this filename" requirements are generally considered non-free,
so I'd expect "You may not change this filename without paying this
fee" requirements to be non-free.

> The second issue
>          * If you modify cdrecord you need to include additional version
>          * printing code that [...]
> in cdrecord/cdrecord.c only applies to cdrecord which is completely copyrighted
> by JS. Therefore he is able to license it as GPL+restrictions and if the
> restrictions are still DFSG free we are able to ship it as part of Debian/main.
> - If cdrtools stopped being distributed as whole and would be split into
> separate tarballs for the different applications, because otherwise this part of
> GPL ...

I think if that could easily be done, and the packages didn't Depend
on each other, then you could say that they're separate works and
merely aggregated into one package.