Re: cdrecord: weird GPL interpretation

Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> writes:

> I do agree that we should avoid upgrading to versions he's provided which
> are accompanied by statements about copyright which conflict with the GPL.
>
> But I don't see any valid reason for pulling prior versions out of main.

I see this as a similar circumstance to Pine.  UW had very clearly
given a free license, then switched to a loopy interpretation where we
didn't have a license to distribute modified versions.  So it got
pulled from main.  They changed their license for future versions --
sure, they called it a clarification, but it was a pretty big change.
But Debian doesn't distribute that old pine, because -- even when the
copyright holder has gone insane -- it's polite to accede to their
wishes.

The same action is appropriate here.

-Brian