Re: Binaries under GPL(2)

Scripsit Don Armstrong <don@donarmstrong.com>
> On Mon, 01 Dec 2003, Henning Makholm wrote:

> > Huh? 2c essentially applies only when one changes a noninteractive
> > program to an interactive one.

> Eh, that should teach me to go by my memory of the license. I meant
> 2a. Because they are object files, it's pretty nigh impossible for
> them to bear prominent notices stating that the files have been
> changed and the date of any change.

$ cat notice.s
.text
.string "NB! This file has been changed on November 30, 2003\0"
$ as notice.s -o notice.o
$ ld -i notice.o /lib/modules/2.4.18-bf2.4/kernel/net/ipx/ipx.o -o a.out
$ strings a.out | head -n1
NB! This file has been changed on November 30, 2003
$

That's pretty prominent, I think. Especially as strings(1) is the
canonical way of looking for notices in an object file.

--
Henning Makholm                            "What a hideous colour khaki is."