Re: Binaries under GPL(2)

25-Nov-03 17:59 Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Alexander Cherepanov wrote:
>> 24-Nov-03 22:02 Don Armstrong wrote:
>>> in order to redistribute under the terms of the GPL, you need to be
>>> able to provide source (the prefered form for modification.)
>>
>> Section 2 of the GPL doesn't require to provide source. It doesn't
>> talk about source at all.

> Section 3 is the critical point here, as it covers distribution in
> object or executable formats, which is what we would be distributing.

You mean that section 3 should really be read as "If you ... you must
..." instead of "You may ... provided that ..." and must be complied
with irrespective of section 2?

>>   Section 3 gives you rights in addition to section 2.  Section 3
>>   lets you distribute a particular kind of modification that is not
>>   allowed in Section 2 (a modification that incorporates things that
>>   can not be licensed under the GPL).

> No, section 3 specifically refers to distributing object or executable
> code, not "incorportating things that cannot be licensed under the
> GPL."

Section 3 contains "a special exception" which is a permission for
"incorportating things that cannot be licensed under the GPL." Yes,
it's only applicable to distributing object or executable code.

Sasha