Re: [RFC] Modification history as a source code

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 10:50:20AM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
 SL> * The preferred form for modification must include the past
 SL> modifications that went into the source for the work in question:
 SL> at best, this means that the stripped binary would be both the
 SL> "source" and the "binary" in this case.

That fits nicely into my model: if you ship stripped binary as a result
of modification, you should also provide a reference to where the source
(original unstripped binary) came from; and at the place where the
unstripped binary is found, source code from which binary was compiled
should also be referenced to. In "source is modification history" model,
the modification chain would be:

   source code v1 -> source code v2 -> binary -> stripped binary

and distributor of each modification should provide a reference back to
the original version, so that the whole chain can be restored at any
moment. GPL only takes care of 'source code v2 -> binary' part.

--
Dmitry Borodaenko