Re: [RFC] Modification history as a source code

On Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003, at 07:03 US/Eastern, Dmitry Borodaenko wrote:

The issue of storage is more controversial, all I can
give is my personal opinion that it is fair to expect that creators keep
track of at least their own work,

I don't think its reasonable to expect me to keep track of every single change I've ever made; to store that indefinitely; etc.

In order for this scheme to work, authors of works would have to keep copies of their work, in the same network-accessible location, for eternity[0]. That, especially for large works, is a significant expense.

I don't think a free license can require much more than "if you distribute this, give source under the same terms." It certainly can't require me to spend an indefinite amount of money keeping stuff around years after I'm dead.

(Just imagine that every time you patched XFree, you had to keep the entire XFree tree around. Ouch.)

[0] OK, for the duration of the copyright, which is currently what, life+75 years, with Congress routinely increasing it?