Re: A possible approach in "solving" the FDL problem

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 02:36:36 +0200, Sergey V Spiridonov
<sena@hurd.homeunix.org> said:

> Stephen Ryan wrote:
>> You have taken the one sacred cow in the entire place here, and
>> have suggested that it is merely a convenience, and that we should
>> have a barbecue next Friday afternoon.  "Free enough" -- them's
>> fightin' words.

> I feel that GPL will be offered next in sacrifice to the sacred
> cow. Of course, GPL is not *absolutely* free!

	Why is it so hard to see why a license to use a work is
 treated differently? The license determines the terms I am offered
 something, as opposed to what I am offered. The freedoms I care about
 are my ability to use, modify, and share my modifications (or not, if
 I do not publish the changes).  I care about the freedom to tailor
 the behaviour of the software, to port it to the zaurus, and to be
 able to share my changes, and be able to document my changed program
 when I share it.

	All these freedoms of using and sharing software do not entail
 that the terms I was given the software under be changed; and indeed,
 the rights of users downstream rely on the terms of distribution not
 being modified.

	Though I fail to see the distinction between code, data, and
 documentation; I see no such ambiguity when it comes to
 distinguishing the license from any of those.

	manoj
--
Lax behaviour, broken observances and dubious chastity - these are of
no great benefit. 312