Re: A possible approach in "solving" the FDL problem

Peter S Galbraith <p.galbraith@globetrotter.net>:

> I agree with you.  I'm also afraid that the next release of the GPL
> won't mean what the current one does.  I'm also afraid that the FSF will
> sacrifice it in the name of some exchange.  If that happens I pity all
> those that have license their with the words "or any later version".  I
> certainly have stopped doing so.  My level of trust have gone way down.

You have to decide whether the risk of having your code used in a
program you consider to be not quite free is worse than the risk of
your code, and maybe other people's code with it, becoming unusable
due to most of the world moving to GPLv3.

If there are a large number of people contributing to a project I
think it's better if at least most of them license their contributions
with the words "or any later version". That way, if GPLv3 turns out to
be a good licence the maintainers can switch to using it without
having to get permission from a huge number of people.

Edmund