Re: Inconsistencies in our approach

Andrew Suffield wrote:
We have not, to date, had any difficulty in interpreting the DFSG as
applied to documentation, excluding the lunatic fringe who appear,
stick their oar in, and cease to send mail when somebody points out
why their argument is flawed (in every discussion, not just licensing
ones).

In all the FDL debates, there has not once been a solid argument that
it is actually acceptable, which was not immediately rebutted. If
anybody thinks otherwise, they are invited to present their argument
*and then defend it in the face of skilled opposition*.

    There are two ways of viewing debate: one is that debate is a
means of persuading others that your point is the correct one, the
other is that debate is a means of deriving truth (or at least
correctness).  Thus it's not "lunatic" to offer what seems to be
a plausible argument and then not continue to argue for it when a
convincing refutation is offered.

Lynn

PS.  Yes, I know the two views of debate are not orthogonal.