Re: Final Draft: Interpretive Guideline regarding DFSG clause 3

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 04:06:30PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> I fear that one problem here is that I regard "Debian" as comprising
> only the "main" archive.

That's not a problem, that is correct.

  Programs That Don't Meet Our Free-Software Standards

  We acknowledge that some of our users require the use of programs that
  don't conform to the Debian Free Software Guidelines. We have created
  "contrib" and "non-free" areas in our FTP archive for this software. The
  software in these directories is not part of the Debian system, although
  it has been configured for use with Debian. We encourage CD
  manufacturers to read the licenses of software packages in these
  directories and determine if they can distribute that software on their
  CDs. Thus, although non-free software isn't a part of Debian, we support
  its use, and we provide infrastructure (such as our bug-tracking system
  and mailing lists) for non-free software packages.

> Some people seem to have, in the back of their heads, that relabelling
> the emacs manual as non-free is a mere bookkeeping change of no major
> consequence, that moving it from main to non-free is a mere issue of
> labelling.

Some people like who?  That people can still get Debian packages of the
manuals if they want them doesn't mean that moving a package from main
to non-free is more than a bookkeeping change.  It is also an
acknowledgement that said package is not (completely) Free.

> Since Debian is only main, this is a proposal to remove the Emacs
> and GCC manuals from Debian.  Nobody is really aware of any other
> important texts that have significant invariant sections than these
> two manuals, IIRC.

I feared that some of the stuff in doc-debian might have invariant
sections, but none of it appears to.  Everything is either under the GPL
or the traditional GNU documentation license, which I have quoted
several times on this list over the past few weeks.

There is one possible exception.  The Debian Manifesto bears no
copyright notice (though it is explicitly authored by Ian Murdock), and
is not explicitly mentioned by the doc-debian/copyright file.  Therefore
it might be in license limbo, unless he's made a statement about its
licensing in the past.  Or maybe the document belongs to the Project.

In any event:

  Please note that this document is provided in order to document
  Debian's history.  While the general ideas still apply some details
  changed.

Even if non-free, the document could be removed from the package without
causing any real disruption.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      Please do not look directly into