Re: REVISED PROPOSAL regarding DFSG 3 and 4, licenses, and modifiable text

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 02:52:47PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 11:01:49PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > For instance:
> > ">       * It's unjustified. Why 32,768 bytes? Why not 32,000 bytes?
> > You want 32,000 instead?  You've got it."
>
> Which, you'll notice didn't answer the question, nor did it remotely
> address the issue by providing any justification.

	The size of the GNU GPL and the "Funding Free Software" portion
	of the gcc manual together in plain-text form is 20,410 bytes.
	This is *without* regarding all adjacent white space characters
	as one byte, and without excluding the portion of the GPL that
	is actually a binding license.  Once that is done (condensing
	whitespace and omitting the "TERMS AND CONDITIONS" part of the
	GNU GPL, which are already covered by clause 2 above), this
	auxiliary material consumes only 7,928 bytes.  Therefore, 32,768
	bytes strikes me as a reasonable limit.

This of course, assumes that it's reasonable to use packages that
actually exist and contain non-license invariant text to inform one's
proposals.  Given your preference for ex nihilo reasoning, that
assumption may not do anything for you.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      "To be is to do"   -- Plato
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      "To do is to be"   -- Aristotle