Re: REVISED PROPOSAL regarding DFSG 3 and 4, licenses, and modifiable text

On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 02:57:56AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > However, if you have to GNU manuals, licensed under the FDL, with 20kB
> > of invariant sections each, you can't combine them into a single package,
> > even if that might be more convenient for you and for your users.
> Who says you can't?  Are you forgetting the "guideline" part again?

Uh, when you say "guideline" what do you mean by it?

I'd've thought 20kB would be clearly under 32kB and 40kb clearly over it,
just as a single sentence ("If you like this program, please do a favour
for the next three strangers you meet.") would be clearly considered
"small", while the complete works of Shakespeare, say, would be clearly
considered "large".

If a package with 20kB of invariant text isn't clearly okay by your
guidelines, and a package with 40kB of invariant text clearly not-okay,
what's the point of having the 32kB figure at all? You're already relying
on the sense of ftpmaster in working out if things are too large, why
not just be honest about it?

Cheers,
aj

 "Security here. Yes, maam. Yes. Groucho glasses. Yes, we're on it.
   C'mon, guys. Somebody gave an aardvark a nose-cut: somebody who
    can't deal with deconstructionist humor. Code Blue."
		-- Mike Hoye,
		      see http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/armadillos.txt