Re: REVISED PROPOSAL regarding DFSG 3 and 4, licenses, and modifiable text

On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 09:34:22PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 02:57:56AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > > However, if you have to GNU manuals, licensed under the FDL, with 20kB
> > > of invariant sections each, you can't combine them into a single package,
> > > even if that might be more convenient for you and for your users.
> > Who says you can't?  Are you forgetting the "guideline" part again?
>
> Uh, when you say "guideline" what do you mean by it?

"Keep in mind that my proposed guidelines are only that; any generally
perceived conflict between the DFSG and my guidelines must be resolved
in favor of the DFSG until and unless the DFSG is amended.  These
guidelines are proposed and intended as a "gentlemens' agreement" to
clarify certain areas rendered ambiguous by the DFSG or by current
practice in the Debian Project."

> I'd've thought 20kB would be clearly under 32kB and 40kb clearly over it,
> just as a single sentence ("If you like this program, please do a favour
> for the next three strangers you meet.") would be clearly considered
> "small", while the complete works of Shakespeare, say, would be clearly
> considered "large".

If you go over the limit, you should either:
1) ask the licensor to change the terms; or
2) not put the package in main; or
3) ask the debian-legal team/FTP admins for an exception.

> If a package with 20kB of invariant text isn't clearly okay by your
> guidelines, and a package with 40kB of invariant text clearly
> not-okay, what's the point of having the 32kB figure at all?

"A well-chosen arbitrary limit will:
1) Be sufficiently low as to not violate the intent of DFSG 3;
2) Be sufficiently high as to let most "unobjectionable" packages that
   have to be evaluated under this criterion into main;
3) Be sufficiently low as to encourage authors/licensors to not get
   carried away with large amounts of invariant text."

> You're already relying on the sense of ftpmaster in working out if
> things are too large, why not just be honest about it?

Is it your assertion that the ftpmasters decisions should not be subject
to review, that whatever standards or criteria they use for making
decisions regarding DFSG compliance should be unknown and unpublished
outside their group, and that no one else should participate in the
process of making these determinations?

"A -legal FAQ or HOWTO or similar isn't an unreasonable thing to start."

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     What influenced me to atheism was
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     reading the Bible cover to cover.