Re: Can KDE4 use Postgresql rather than MySql

On Tuesday 07 April 2009, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 April 2009, David Goodenough wrote:
> > Do you know how I would tell if all the patches where there, and how I go
> > about telling akonadi to try to use postgresql?  It would appear that
> > akonadi starts its own mysql server instance, but I already have a
> > postgresql server instance running, so all I would need to do it point it
> > at that - I guess.
>
> Most likely currently only through editing the config file:
> $HOME/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc
>
> In the general section the driver might have to be "PSQL" and then a
> section called like that, probably with similar parameters like the one for
> MYSQL.
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin

OK, I will give it a go.

Unfortunately my sacrificial machine which I update to the latest of sid
every morning is currently doing all kind of bad things after the upgrade.

When I did the upgrade it would not automatically install kdebase-data
and so I tried to install it manually.  That said it would remove most of
kde4 so, being a sacrificial machine I let it.  I then reinstalled kde4 and
it kept on crashing when it started up.  ksmserver was aparently dying,
so I deleted .kde/share/config/ksmserver and it now comes up.  I had
one or two old applets (such as kcpumon and knetworkmon or whatever
they were called and I guess that one or other of those was causing it
grief).

Anyway not it comes up, but when I try to start anything, even konsole,
it dies a horrible death, painting nasty striped on my vt1-6 consoles so
that I can not even log on there.  I suppose it might be that kaboom
did not migrate something correctly, so the next thing I guess I will
try is renaming .kde to something else (not .kde4) and trying that to
see if it is simply an old configuration option that is causing the problem.

David