Re: Can KDE4 use Postgresql rather than MySql

On Tuesday 07 April 2009, David Goodenough wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 April 2009, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Tuesday 07 April 2009, David Goodenough wrote:
> > > Do you know how I would tell if all the patches where there, and how I
> > > go about telling akonadi to try to use postgresql?  It would appear
> > > that akonadi starts its own mysql server instance, but I already have a
> > > postgresql server instance running, so all I would need to do it point
> > > it at that - I guess.
> >
> > Most likely currently only through editing the config file:
> > $HOME/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc
> >
> > In the general section the driver might have to be "PSQL" and then a
> > section called like that, probably with similar parameters like the one
> > for MYSQL.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Kevin
>
> OK, I will give it a go.
>
> Unfortunately my sacrificial machine which I update to the latest of sid
> every morning is currently doing all kind of bad things after the upgrade.
>
> When I did the upgrade it would not automatically install kdebase-data
> and so I tried to install it manually.  That said it would remove most of
> kde4 so, being a sacrificial machine I let it.  I then reinstalled kde4 and
> it kept on crashing when it started up.  ksmserver was aparently dying,
> so I deleted .kde/share/config/ksmserver and it now comes up.  I had
> one or two old applets (such as kcpumon and knetworkmon or whatever
> they were called and I guess that one or other of those was causing it
> grief).
>
> Anyway not it comes up, but when I try to start anything, even konsole,
> it dies a horrible death, painting nasty striped on my vt1-6 consoles so
> that I can not even log on there.  I suppose it might be that kaboom
> did not migrate something correctly, so the next thing I guess I will
> try is renaming .kde to something else (not .kde4) and trying that to
> see if it is simply an old configuration option that is causing the
> problem.
>
> David

Just to follow up on what happened.  Well I thought that maybe the
problem was an X problem, so I did what I have done to a number of
my systems recently, that is I removed /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and then
X can configure itself.  That seems to have cured the problem, and now
I can start konqueror, konsole, etc and it all seems to work as expected.

So obviously there was something in the xorg.conf (which is quite old)
and describes an Intel 82515 card with the i810 driver and an elderly
monitor, which Kde 3.5 did not use and Kde 4 falls over on.  Given that
self configuration is now the norm I guess this is not going to be too
much of a problem.

The only other thing I have noticed is that it keeps on migrating resources
every time I restart KDE, and in the Akonadi server startup it complains that
the server is not available on DBus - I suspect this is because this is an old
underpowered machine (256MB 900MHz PIII) and that there may be an
underlying timing problem as the machine is trashing away when it
starts up KDE.

David