Re: [KDE 4.1 backports] yakuake missing

On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 09:39:32AM -0400, Ben E. Hard wrote:
> Modestas Vainius wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > trečiadienis 03 rugsėjis 2008, Ben E. Hard rašė:
> >> Ok, then it is not missing, but I miss it :-) Still that policy will
> >> probably become if not a problem, then at least something uncomfortable:
> >> with each new application being ported to kde4 and not being included in
> >> lenny, one would have to get it from experimental.
> > That's exactly what this policy is supposed to protect from. New
> > applications will be released and some users will definitely want them.
> > You should look at KDE 4.1 backports for Lenny as an additional
> > feature/service. Actually, as KDE 4.1 could not be included in Lenny due
> > to unfortunate release timing and a few other issues, we thought that
> > adventurous Lenny users should not be left only with aging KDE 3.5. Sorry,
> > but it's never been a goal to provide the best possible KDE 4.1 desktop
> > experience in Lenny.
> I know that it is only an additional feature and that Ana doesn't want to provide the "best possible KDE 4.1 desktop experience" in Lenny. But why shouldn't he or somebody else provide a good experience with some more KDE4 programs for Lenny?

Modax provided you a very good argument about this....
If you *really* want the best KDE 4.X desktop experience, you should use now
the experimental packages, help reporting (*) and fixing bugs on those
packages.

(*) no packaging bugs should go to bugs.kde.org if you want to be helpful

> >>But I'm not saying you should do all that work of packing all
> >>kde4-programms.
> > Criteria is set - backports of official KDE 4.1.x modules. No more or
> > less. I do not think that making exceptions is a good thing.
> Why not? Why that fundamentalism? Don't you want to leave it to Ana which packages he includes?

Modax and me have talked a bit about the backports (remember we both belong
to the kde team), so he knows a bit what i'm planning and what not.

> >>If not, the idea of using lenny + kde4 will always be a mix of kde3 + 4
> >>with
> > some programs not working or not integrating completely in kde4
> > KDE 4.1 desktop in Lenny is an *additional* and *unofficial* feature which
> > you can use as it is with no support (as in no fixing of Lenny-only
> > issues).
>
> Why do you think it is without support? Of course there is no official support of debian, but Ana kindly responds to that mailinglist.

It is without support in the sense we are not providing security updates or
fixes for very important issues as you get in unstable ot stable (and even in
testing).

> > Basically, Lenny will always be like this as you see it now (with
> > regard to software up-to-dateness). Finally, you probably do not want to
> > use Debian stable release anyway. Once Lenny is released, keep using
> > testing ("Squeeze") and it eventually will get the whole KDE 4.x desktop
> > and other KDE 4 applications.
>
> Of course, but I have the feeling that these backports are meant to help testing users to use KDE4 right now before Lenny is released. The backports won't include anything after KDE 4.1.x (so are the plans according to kde4.debian.net), as the backports will be useless once official KDE4-packages appear in testing.

I disagree with this. Main purpose of backports is allow users to know what is
going on in KDE 4.1 without breaking their *Stable* systems, and if they like
it, then they might consider switching to testing/unstable when 4.2.x comes.
Actually, users wanting a *seriously* stable system will still stick with 3.5
for a while, that let's remember is still maintained by upstream and in
Debian.
If we have released lenny with kde 4.1 it would have been 4.1.0 all the cycle
and never would have got updated, so the backport solution seemed a better deal
even if we do not continue with 4.2.x

And for the record, i am a "she".

Ana