Re: The kde team solution is not work well, i think so

On Jan 15, 2008 1:27 AM, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)
<cobaco@skolelinux.no> wrote:
> KDE4 is now at a point where:
> - the basic frameworks are in place
> - what's there works well enough for daily use

I'm not sure that's quite there... the panel is not at all
configurable, plasmoids cannot be dragged on/off the panel, desktop
icons are purely decorative and nonfunctional, and programs randomly
disappear for no reason from the taskbar (The panel ate minimized
windows a few times, the program didn't crash, I could still switch to
it, it just stopped appearing in the taskbar).

> So releasing now is IMHO a Good Thing

It's a matter of semantics.  KDE4 is beta material at best right now,
and the KDE folks should call it as such.  The KDE3 beta was
essentially fully functional, and at least was a complete product by
the time it made it to beta.  I was using KDE3 well before it was
released.  KDE4 is incomplete and glitchy enough that if I were a part
of that project, I'd be ashamed to have my name in the CREDITS for it
at this point.

> But yes, as it stands KDE3 is still the more comfortable house
>
> => if you expect KDE4 to mach the comfort of KDE3 it's to early to switch,
> => if you're content with works but needs refinement, and are willing to
>    help (even if only by helping to find bugs and reporting them) now is a
>    good time to switch.

Gotta have a pretty high tolerance to bugs and not mind KDE4 getting
in the way of real work a good deal of time, though.  Fair warning.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca