Re: The kde team solution is not work well, i think so

On Thursday 17 January 2008, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Jan 15, 2008 1:27 AM, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)
> <cobaco@skolelinux.no> wrote:
> > KDE4 is now at a point where:
> > - the basic frameworks are in place
> > - what's there works well enough for daily use
>
> I'm not sure that's quite there... the panel is not at all
> configurable, plasmoids cannot be dragged on/off the panel,

plasmoids can be dragged to the pannel from the 'add widgets' thingy in the
top right corner

dragging from the pannel <-> desktop doesn't currently work,
but that's the equivalent of having all the wiring done, but not having the
all the light switches for a particular light installed yet (i.e. the
switch next to the kitchen door is there, but the one next to the hallway
door isn't)

-> this is not a framework problem

> desktop icons are purely decorative and nonfunctional,

right-clicking something in the menu and choosing "add to desktop" works for
me, going through add widgets doesn't

-> as above :)

> and programs randomly disappear for no reason from the taskbar (The panel
> ate minimized windows a few times, the program didn't crash, I could still
> switch to it, it just stopped appearing in the taskbar).

haven't experienced this one, any particular pattern of when this happens?

> > So releasing now is IMHO a Good Thing
>
> It's a matter of semantics.  KDE4 is beta material at best right now,
> and the KDE folks should call it as such.  The KDE3 beta was
> essentially fully functional, and at least was a complete product by
> the time it made it to beta.  I was using KDE3 well before it was
> released.  KDE4 is incomplete and glitchy enough that if I were a part
> of that project, I'd be ashamed to have my name in the CREDITS for it
> at this point.

You should compare the KDE4 realease to the KDE2 one, not the KDE3 one
(KDE3 was a straight port of KDE2 to qt3, not a new set of frameworks,
keeping with the analogy: KDE3 was major redecorating, KDE4 is putting up a
new building :)

> > But yes, as it stands KDE3 is still the more comfortable house
> >
> > => if you expect KDE4 to mach the comfort of KDE3 it's to early to
> > switch, => if you're content with works but needs refinement, and are
> > willing to help (even if only by helping to find bugs and reporting
> > them) now is a good time to switch.
>
> Gotta have a pretty high tolerance to bugs and not mind KDE4 getting
> in the way of real work a good deal of time, though.  Fair warning.

YMMV, and it is a .0 release, so yeah :)

Though for me, only konqueror is noticably buggy.
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)