Re: The kde team solution is not work well, i think so

On Tuesday 15 January 2008, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Jan 14, 2008 1:09 AM, Ritesh Raj Sarraf <rrs@researchut.com> wrote:
> > BasaBuru wrote:
> > > Please dont send a private mail, we loss information
> > >
> > > I'm use a sid/experimental Debian
> >
> > You should have read Ana's announcement email.
> > Second, what is in Experimental is not for general user.
> > If you are using something from experimental, you know what you are
> > doing.
> >
> > I'm using KDE4 right now (from experimental) and it works good.
>
> I'm not sure it works well yet, but not by any fault of the DDs.

To make an analogy:

KDE 4 is a house whose main structure is now standing, which is livable, but
which still needs a lot of finishing touches to make it into the fantastic
house it will eventually be.

KDE 3 on the other hand is a house with a lesser (though still very nice)
structure, but that has been lived in long enough to have reached it's full
potential with all of the rough edges smoothed over

> I think the upstream KDE team was quite premature in calling it stable
> given some relatively basic stuff like configuring the panel are still
> missing.

In Free Software the mantra is "release early, release often"

KDE4 is now at a point where:
- the basic frameworks are in place
- what's there works well enough for daily use

So releasing now is IMHO a Good Thing

But yes, as it stands KDE3 is still the more comfortable house

=> if you expect KDE4 to mach the comfort of KDE3 it's to early to switch,
=> if you're content with works but needs refinement, and are willing to
   help (even if only by helping to find bugs and reporting them) now is a
   good time to switch.
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)