Re: make local printer a network printer

On Sunday 24 September 2006 04:05 pm, Seb wrote:

> Thanks for your suggestions.  I'm using Debian unstable, and I don't
> have a /etc/cups.conf file, but a /etc/cups/cupsd.conf, which didn't
> have a 'BrowseAddress' directive in it.

That's the correct file, my mistake.

> # Only listen for connections from the local machine.
> Listen localhost:631
> Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock

# You need to listen to port 631 on the machine's ethernet interface.
# Replace a.b.c.d with the machine's real IP.
#
Listen a.b.c.d:631

> # Show shared printers on the local network.
> Browsing On
> BrowseOrder allow,deny
> BrowseAllow @LOCAL

These are for clients.  You need the BrowseAddress on the server.  If it
isn't there already, you can just add it.  My cupsd.conf (running
Sarge) has this comment before the BrowseAddress entry:

# BrowseAddress: specifies a broadcast address to be used.  By
# default browsing information is not sent!
#
BrowseAddress @LOCAL

> # Restrict access to the server...
> <Location />
>  Order allow,deny
>  Allow localhost

   # You need to add this so remote machines can view jobs etc.
   #
   Allow @LOCAL

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| A proud member of the unhinged moonbat horde.