Re: wrong locale in kpackage kde 3.3.2

On Thursday 10 February 2005 19:04, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Friday 04 February 2005 20:51, Mauro Darida wrote:
> > I have noticed that every time I install a package from kpackage it
> > gives the following warnings:
> > perl:warning:Setting locale failed.
> > perl:warning:Please check that your locale settings:
> > LANGUAGE=(unset)
> > LC_ALL="en_US"
> > LANG=(unset)
> > are supported and installed on your system
> > perl:warning:Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
> >
> > This is what I have in my system locale settings:
> > # cat /etc/profile
> > # /etc/profile: system-wide .profile file for the Bourne shell (sh(1))
> > # and Bourne compatible shells (bash(1), ksh(1), ash(1), ...).
> [...]
> > #
> > # Imposto la localizzazione
> > LANG=en_IE@euro
> > export LANG
> > LC_CTYPE=en_IE@euro
> > export LC_CTYPE
> > LC_ALL=en_IE@euro
> > export LC_ALL
>
> AFAIK /etc/profile is not read when you log in through KDM.
> The proper place to set default LANG and LANGUAGE is /etc/environment.

And never set LC_ALL!  It makes all other LC_* LANG setting being
ignored.  Use LANG instead!

From setlocale:

       ... For glibc, first (regardless of category), the
       environment variable LC_ALL is inspected, next the environment vari‐
       able with the same  name  as  the  category  (LC_COLLATE,  LC_CTYPE,
       LC_MESSAGES, LC_MONETARY, LC_NUMERIC, LC_TIME) and finally the envi‐
       ronment variable LANG.  The first existing environment  variable  is
       used.   ...

Try:
 LC_ALL=de_DE.UTF-8 LC_COLLATE=C LANG=en_US.UTF-8 locale

for 'bad' side effect of LC_ALL.

Achim

                                      -- reddy@lion.austin.ibm.com