Re: Source of much KDE 2.2 weirdness identified

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 06:26:56PM +0100, Thomas Ritter wrote:
> On Thursday 15 January 2004 07:13, Ross Boylan wrote:
> > Simply by toggling "Use Anti-Aliasing for fonts and icons" on in the
> > Control Center | Look & Feel | Fonts I can make much of the bad
> > behavior reappear (in particular, the infinite horizontal width
> > problem).
>
> Hi,
>
> that's an old problem and it's just partially KDE-specific. Some things have
> to be right to make this problem go away:
>

> - KDE/QT Antialiasing (the setting you described)
If I disable this, the problem goes away.  But so does antialising.
Are you saying there is a way to enable it and still have things work
properly?

> - /etc/fonts/local.conf shouldn't interfere, look at it How would
looking at it tell me if it interferes?  My understanding is that
/etc/fonts involves the freetype 2/ Xft 2 (which also go by other
version numbers, rather confusingly, e.g. libfreetype6 on Debian, and
also sometimes referred to as 3rd generation solutions by their creators)
system which KDE 2.2 doesn't know about.  But I'm not sure.

> - font databases built with fc-cache -f
Aside from the fact that I've done this, isn't this also part of the
later generation font handling, meaning it won't help with KDE 2 problems?

> Font support is always on the move (think of LCD displays which need other
> antialiasing settings than usual monitors) and this will always bring
> hazards. I think KDE/QT has its own support for antialiasing to make things
> easier, but this didn't always work out well.

I thought KDE relied on Qt for all it's font stuff, though I've seen
hints it does a bit more (other than wrapping stuff up for Qt).

Qt, in turn, has relied on the changing versions of
freetype/Xft/fontconfig, I thought.  Particularly in later versions
than the one I'm running, these are fairly widely used.

True?