Re: Source of much KDE 2.2 weirdness identified

On Thursday 15 January 2004 07:13, Ross Boylan wrote:
> Simply by toggling "Use Anti-Aliasing for fonts and icons" on in the
> Control Center | Look & Feel | Fonts I can make much of the bad
> behavior reappear (in particular, the infinite horizontal width
> problem).

Hi,

that's an old problem and it's just partially KDE-specific. Some things have
to be right to make this problem go away:

- KDE/QT Antialiasing (the setting you described)
- /etc/fonts/local.conf shouldn't interfere, look at it
- font databases built with fc-cache -f

Font support is always on the move (think of LCD displays which need other
antialiasing settings than usual monitors) and this will always bring
hazards. I think KDE/QT has its own support for antialiasing to make things
easier, but this didn't always work out well.

Greetings,
--
Thomas Ritter

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary
safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."  - Benjamin Franklin