Source of much KDE 2.2 weirdness identified

I'm running a mostly testing system with the KDE 2.2.2-14.7 packages
installed.  For many months this has been a sick puppy.  Many fonts
were invisible, the help text was invisible, and more recently lots of
apps, including the control panel were showing up with entire windows
or widgets that have apparently infinite horizontal width (rendering
them unusable).

I moved my ~/.kde and .kderc files aside, and *all* these problems
went away.

Simply by toggling "Use Anti-Aliasing for fonts and icons" on in the
Control Center | Look & Feel | Fonts I can make much of the bad
behavior reappear (in particular, the infinite horizontal width
problem).

Does anyone know why this is?  For example, are the KDE 2.2 packages
built with an older gcc, and the font libraries have migrated to a
newer, incompatible gcc?  Is it a sign I've misconfigured XftConfig?
Is XftConfig the relevant file, and exactly what libraries does this
toggle box try to use?