Linux Kernel Mailinglist archive: Re: On K7, -march=k6 is good (Was Re: Why no -march=athlon?)

Here are some facts about k6. I didn't have time to do a benchmark myself, so
thanks to google I found the attached message. Hope it helps those who think
i686 is better than k6 on an Athlon.

IMO, it is possible that i686 carves better FP performance (because I haven't
seen a test that disproves that ;), but for integer performance k6 will be
good for you Athlon users...

And if you look at the following page which adds athlon support to our beloved
gcc-2.95.x you will see that the gains of -march=athlon over
-march=pentiumpro seem to be only marginal.

http://hannah.ipc.miyakyo-u.ac.jp/kim/Linux/AthlonGCC.html

But there is indeed some consistent however very small speedup when using
-march=athlon there.

The real benefit of course comes from "real" optimizations. Since these
processors are very smart and will do out-of-order processing you don't get
the speedups you used to get in the 80's with these "Submodel" optimizations.
:)

The KDE build I did were done with "-O3 -march=i686". Now if you add to those
flags -fstrict-aliasing -malign-functions=4 -fomit-frame-pointer, and add to
the configure flags --enable-fast-malloc=full and --enable-final you will get
quite a bit of speedup!

Thanks,

--
Eray Ozkural (exa) <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr>