Re: Athlon optimized KDE build

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002 12:42, Eray Ozkural wrote:
> BTW, I'm going to do even more optimized builds if you're interested. I'm
> thinking of trying out fast malloc which is said to cut down application
> startup time. Even if it's hard to share these huge binaries, we can share
> experiences.

There are lots of ways of making things much faster than any new malloc
library ever could.

For example there are many KDE programs that take an O(N^2) amount of time to
do some work dependant on the data size.  For example consider the amount of
time taken to display a message in kmail, for messages that are <50K in size
the time is quite reasonable, but for megabyte messages it's terrible.  This
is something that a better malloc library might alleviate, but it needs some
better algorithms in the core code to solve it.

Another example (which I haven't tested recently - it may be fixed but I
doubt it) - try a ftp:// URL where there are thousands of files in the
directory, it's an easy way of making what is essentially 100KB of text cause
Konqueror to allocate 50M of RAM and only avoid thrashing VM because it's
using all the CPU time.

I've been thinking of working on these issues for years, but I've always had
other things to do.

PS  Before calling someone a lamer I generally do the following:
Grep for their name/email address in /var/lib/apt/lists/*
Search sourceforge for their name.
Search advogato for their name.
Do a google search on their name.

That avoids the potential embarassment of calling someone a lamer only to
discover that they contribute more than me.