Re: Printer works fine now, but not with non-kde apps?

On Monday 12 November 2001 22:56, John Gay wrote:
> After many sleepless nights re-compiling ghostscript5.50 to get my Samsung
> ml4500 'gdi' printer working, sort-of, I found that cups and ghostscript6.50
> from unstable support my printer and now I can print without having to call
> gs by hand, as root, specifying the driver and printer port! I can just open
> any KDE app, and select print and my new cups-provided ml4500 printer is
> magically there! The downside is, this does not work for non-KDE apps. These
> only show the old lp printer I had spent ages trying to get to work, but
> couldn't.
>
> How do I make the cups-provided ml4500 printer available to the rest of my
> system?

Make sure that you have the cups printer clients installed.  They are in packages
	cupsys-bsd		(lpr, lpq, ...)
	cupsys-client		(lp, cancel, ...)

Some apps parse /etc/printcap themself.  Direct cupsd to generate the /etc/printcap

ds02[0] ~ # grep Printcap /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
Printcap /etc/printcap

Achim