Re: Printer works fine now, but not with non-kde apps?

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 09:56:56PM +0000, John Gay wrote:

> After many sleepless nights re-compiling ghostscript5.50 to get my
> Samsung ml4500 'gdi' printer working, sort-of, I found that cups and
> ghostscript6.50 from unstable support my printer and now I can print
> without having to call gs by hand, as root, specifying the driver and
> printer port! I can just open any KDE app, and select print and my new
> cups-provided ml4500 printer is magically there! The downside is, this
> does not work for non-KDE apps. These only show the old lp printer I had
> spent ages trying to get to work, but couldn't.

Install cupsys-bsd (or something like that), you don't need to have the lpd
running (if it asks) but you need the command line replacements. Most
programs call 'lpr -P printername' for printing.

You can also reconfigure your apps to use 'kprinter' instead of 'lpr'.
Acrobat does this here and it works perfectly.

--
Jens Benecke ········ http://www.hitchhikers.de/ - Europas Mitfahrzentrale

Microsoft says it's "irresponsible" to expect them to get a patch out for a
critical flaw within "a few days".
	-- http://www.microsoft.com/technet/columns/security/noarch.asp