Printer works fine now, but not with non-kde apps?

After many sleepless nights re-compiling ghostscript5.50 to get my Samsung
ml4500 'gdi' printer working, sort-of, I found that cups and ghostscript6.50
from unstable support my printer and now I can print without having to call
gs by hand, as root, specifying the driver and printer port! I can just open
any KDE app, and select print and my new cups-provided ml4500 printer is
magically there! The downside is, this does not work for non-KDE apps. These
only show the old lp printer I had spent ages trying to get to work, but
couldn't.

How do I make the cups-provided ml4500 printer available to the rest of my
system?

I realise this is a little off-topic, but it was thanks the KDE and the tips
for fetching unstable packages that made it possible for my to use my printer
again! KDE has come a long way towards making Linux usable for the non-geeks
out there.

Thanks for all the support!

Cheers,

	John Gay