Re: Printer works fine now, but not with non-kde apps?

Am Montag, 12. November 2001 22:56 schrieb John Gay:
> After many sleepless nights re-compiling ghostscript5.50 to get my Samsung
> ml4500 'gdi' printer working, sort-of, I found that cups and
> ghostscript6.50 from unstable support my printer and now I can print
> without having to call gs by hand, as root, specifying the driver and
> printer port! I can just open any KDE app, and select print and my new
> cups-provided ml4500 printer is magically there! The downside is, this does
> not work for non-KDE apps. These only show the old lp printer I had spent
> ages trying to get to work, but couldn't.
>
> How do I make the cups-provided ml4500 printer available to the rest of my
> system?
>
> I realise this is a little off-topic, but it was thanks the KDE and the
> tips for fetching unstable packages that made it possible for my to use my
> printer again! KDE has come a long way towards making Linux usable for the
> non-geeks out there.
>
> Thanks for all the support!
>
> Cheers,
>
> 	John Gay

If the X application has an option to specify the print command (e.g. gv,
mozilla) change this from something like "lpr" to "kprinter". You will then
get the KDE print dialog. This only works for KDE versions greater or 2.2.

Philipp

--
Philipp Siegert
siegert@pp-services.de