Re: Kde 2.2 Beta1

  >>> On Wed, 18 Jul 2001 00:24:37 +0200,
  >>> "Franz" == Franz Keferböck <franz.keferboeck@gmx.at> wrote:

  Franz> Im rather new to debian and especially to woody, but i want to use
  Franz> kde2.2beta on my linux box. the only kde2.2-debs i found were @
  Franz> ftp.debian.org (none at ftp.kde.org!!).  However, what do i have
  Franz> to do to use the kde2.2-debs from sid on my woody-box?

  Franz> Is there any apt-get - way executeable for a not-yet-debianexpert

Well, playing with "unstable" might be worth avoiding for a while, if
you're new to Debian.

In addition, I personally experienced problems with the kde2.2beta, and
have had to down-grade (somewhat trickier than upgrading).

  Franz> All the things in this thread seem to be moreless snippets to me, i'd need
  Franz> something complete...

Okay, if you're brave enough, here's what you need to do:

(1) Add "unstable" lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list

  Here's what I use; adapt for you own local mirrors ...

  ,--- /etc/apt/sources.list ---
  | deb http://ftp.monash.edu.au/pub/linux/debian testing main contrib non-free
  | deb http://ftp.au.debian.org/pub/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free
  | deb http://ftp.monash.edu.au/pub/linux/debian unstable main contrib non-free
  | deb http://ftp.au.debian.org/pub/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free

(2) Make "testing" the default in /etc/apt/preferences

  ,--- /etc/apt/preferences ---
  | Package: *
  | Pin: release a=testing
  | Pin-Priority: 1777
  |
  | Package: *
  | Pin: release a=unstable
  | Pin-Priority: 333

(3) Force-install selected package from "unstable"

  # apt-get -t unstable install task-kde

  Franz> MfG
  Franz> Franz Keferböck

  mikepolniak> I also needed to apt-get install konqueror but the beta
  mikepolniak> konqueror crashes way more than the old one and i' am stuck
  mikepolniak> with it because of the dependencies.