Re: apt and java

Omry Yadan <omry_y <at> inter.net.il> writes:

> >I fail to see a proof of the 'it costs debian users' assertion you made in
> >this response.
> >

> Quite simple:
> 1. Eclipse - not in main, contrib, or non-free.

Which has *nothing* to do with its ability to run on free runtimes. I'm sure Jan
would appreciate your helping hand packaging eclipse. Check the list archives
for details.

> 2. Tomcat - in contrib only.

It wouldn't move to main with a non-free JDK anyway, so what's your point?

> 3. Azareus - not in main, contrib, or non-free.

Please read the fine ITP for Azureus. There is *nothing* in it that mentions
free runtimes being a stumbling block for it.

Whatever your beef with free runtimes is, it's not based on facts. Spreading FUD
how making 'good java programs' run on Kaffe and others 'costs debian users'
something is *not* aiding your case.

Please, put a bit of effort in it and check your facts before you post. If you
could refrain from using broken analogies, that would be great, too. Having
Sun's JDK around is not a matter of life and death. It can't be that urgent, as
Debian has done just fine without it. Relax. If you need the JDK, you know how
to get it.

Slapping Sun's JDK into debian would not automatically make an eclipse package
appear in debian, or an Azureus package. Those things have close to nothing to
do with each other, except that java programs need some sort of a runtime and
the JDK happens to provide one. You, personally, can make an eclipse package
appear without having Sun's JDK in debian, just like tomcat is in debian without
the JDK being around. But it takes work. More work than this discussion,
certainly. It takes good people to make packages. The availability of runtimes
is just a side issue, that has already been solved, afaict.

As I said, you can be part of the solution, by adopting packages, fixing bugs
and bringing more Java software into debian in general and (if you can get rid
of that anti-free-runtime bias) by helping move them to main by making them
build and run on free runtimes. But on the other hand, you don't have to, it's
up to you.

cheers,
dalibor topic