Re: apt and java

Mon, 11 Oct 2004 21:54:43 +0200,
Omry Yadan <omry_y@inter.net.il> wrote:

Dalibor 'Who should fix bugs instead of spending his time in flamewars'
Topic said:

>> I fail to see a proof of the 'it costs debian users' assertion you
>> made in this response.
>>
> Quite simple:
> 1. Eclipse - not in main, contrib, or non-free.

Eclipse is in contrib:
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/devel/eclipse-platform

> 2. Tomcat - in contrib only.

That's not so bad!

> 3. Azareus - not in main, contrib, or non-free.

If you have some time, you can contact Shaun Jackman
<sjackman@gmail.com> and help:

> these are just some of the very popular free java programs, which are
> not available by default (or at all) from apt to debian users.

You could mention Jonas, JBoss, OpenCMS, James, Cocoon, Tomcat5 (yes,
I'm working on it but it's a large package and I'm busy!)

> I might do that, but it will not fix whats needed to be fixed now.
> an analogy:
> A man is choking because of asthma.
> if he does not get treatment now, he dies.
> the cause to the asthma is air pollution.
> fixing the air pollution is importent, but it will not save that man.
>
> thats the different between urgent and importent.
> supporting existing java applications is urgent
> promoting free java runtimes is importent.

Talking about sports:

A man like to ride his bicycle and ride it at his spare time. He does
not take no drugs. Another man rides his bicycle all day long... and
take some drugs to be more competitive. The first will never win the
'Tour de France', the second could.

You wonder why I take this analogy? Well, if he wants to hide the drugs,
the second man will faint to have asthma!

Side note: never heard about 'Surrealisme'...

>>It's that easy to reach what you want. I recommend checking out
>>http://java.debian.net/index.php/MovingJavaToMain and helping to get things
>>moving faster.
>>
> I have, and will visit it in the future.
> this is importent, but urgent is urgent.

Nothing is really urgent in Debian or we had a shorter release cycle ;-)

[...]

>> As Debian can't legally & safely distribute Sun's (or any other
>> sun-derived) VM, that's not possible, afaict. If you don't like that,
>> you can try to get Sun to fix their broken licenses. Good luck,
>> though I think it's a major waste of effort :)
>>
> I have emailed sun today, quering if they approve an automatic
> installer which will get the bin from their site, and execute it -
> showing the user the license as it does that, and installing if the
> user approved.  I described to them that the user can choose to
> install jdk/jre alone, or it might be triggered when he wishes to
> install a java application.  lets see what they say.

If you succeed, can you contact ATI to ask them to give the specs of the
radeon-mobility 9600, because it's impossible for me to have my
powerbook to sleep :(

[...]

> You know, I am not sure sure writing a program which downloads the bin
> From their site and installing it can be categorized as distributing
> it.  its them who distribute it, and its them who are paying for the
> bandwidth and storage.

They'll have to provide a hard link without authentication. Also, when
every packages have been loaded, some Debian users stop their connection
and will not be happy if a package ask them to download another package
during the installation...

> Let me get back to my analogy from before:
> You can either give the man some steroids, and save him, or you can go
> out there, but a environmental friendly car, and join Greenpeace!
> Well, I might joing GreenPeace, but its does not dismiss the need for an
> urgent thing to be done.

I did not know Greenpeace was hacking on free java! Wow!

Cheers, ;-)

- --
  .''`.
 : :' :rnaud