Re: Hurd TWiki trial - Announcement

On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 01:31:02PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> The problem with any name you make up is that you made it up, and people
> won't know it.  So you have to explain it anyway.
>
> Depending on who you ask, you will get different answers.  Some people thing
> it covers what the operating system does.  Some what the kernel does.
>
> You can say kernel-replacement if you mean the Unix kernel specifically, but
> this also is only true in conjunction with the C library.  I am not sure,
> but I guess names will come up as soon as more people start to talk about
> it.  Hopefully at some point people will get so accustomed to the idea that
> system code is user code that they will be happy to talk in terms of
> individual components, eg filesystem, process management, authentication.

very interesting. you mean like, *fs, proc and auth will be treated as
separate components of the system? maybe there could be a package for
each, so they can be handled/upgraded separately. does that technicaly
make sense?

--
Robert Millan

"5 years from now everyone will be running
free GNU on their 200 MIPS, 64M SPARCstation-5"

              Andrew S. Tanenbaum, 30 Jan 1992