Re: Hurd TWiki trial - Announcement

* Robert Millan writes:
> On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 01:31:02PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>>
>> The problem with any name you make up is that you made it up, and people
>> won't know it.  So you have to explain it anyway.
>>
>> Depending on who you ask, you will get different answers.  Some people thing
>> it covers what the operating system does.  Some what the kernel does.
>>
>> You can say kernel-replacement if you mean the Unix kernel specifically, but
>> this also is only true in conjunction with the C library.  I am not sure,
>> but I guess names will come up as soon as more people start to talk about
>> it.  Hopefully at some point people will get so accustomed to the idea that
>> system code is user code that they will be happy to talk in terms of
>> individual components, eg filesystem, process management, authentication.

> very interesting. you mean like, *fs, proc and auth will be treated as
> separate components of the system? maybe there could be a package for
> each, so they can be handled/upgraded separately. does that technicaly
> make sense?

They are already separate components of the system.  The official
Hurd package will contain the "official" versions of each such
translator.  A user may write their own replacement for such
translators.  I think it would be quite annoying to have to upgrade
each translator manually like that.

--
Alfred M. Szmidt