autohidden gnome panel oddness in the experimental gnome 2.6

Hey all,

  I have a left, autohidden, non-expanding panel attached to the lower left corner of
the screen which I use to put launcher icons and the main menu on. The only
other panel I have is a bottom one, also non-expanding and placed along the
center of the bottom edge (it occupies around 80% of the edge width). With 2.4
it's been working (almost) correctly (the almost is that it sometimes failed
to hide itself and I had to slide the mouse cursor over it in order for it
to hide) but with 2.6 there appeared one additional problem which makes it
quite annoying to use. Namely, I have Super-{1-4} assigned to virtual
desktop switching which combination of keys I use quite a lot. Alas, the
panel described above unhides itself every time I switch the desktops that
way and I have to mouse over it to get rid of it. I haven't had that
problem with the gnome 2.6 compiled from the garnome dist, so I suppose it
might be some problem with the Debian version of the panel. I have wiped
the gnome config clean and started the desktop afresh, but that didn't change a
thing, so it's probably not a matter of settings.

  Could anyone, please, set their desktop in the way described above and see
whether they observe the same behavior?

tia,

marek