Re: Fam, still a problem in new nautilus

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 12:31, Jean-Christophe Dubacq wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 10:19:13PM -0500, Luis M wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 03:44, Jean-Christophe Dubacq wrote:
> > > Yesterday, I was hurt (again) by the fam bug (cannot unmount cdroms).
> > >
> > > I think I know approximatively the reasons etc.
> > > I think I never saw an answer to this problem beyond 'remove fam' (yes,
> > > I can, but when my other users drop a file on their desktop, they expect
> > > it to show up, not only by opening a window to ~/Desktop and hit
> > > refresh).
> >
> > The solution is simple:
> > 1. make sure fam is started by the init.d script and not by inet
>
> OK.
>
> > 2. make sure you edit the fam config file and tell it not to poll
> > remote filesystems (nfs, smb, whatever)
>
> Did not find that in fam.conf, nor in fam.conf(5).

man famd

-l     Disable polling of files on remote NFS servers.

"smb and others" is an exaggeration from my part... I don't think "-l"
takes care of those, though I have never seen a problem with umount'ing
smb shares on other boxes I own (in windows-only networks).

> > 3. wait X number of seconds after you close Nautilus window on whatever
> > dvd/cdrom you mounted or logout and log back in... and finally,
>
> Gasp. Argh. I die from this answer.

lol, hey, it works... essentially "killall nautilus" or "pkill nautilus"
should do it, but then if you are using FAM from inet logging out is
better because it will kill nautilus and the fam process that started
under your name ;-) though that rarely works. it's better to just have
fam start by root and use these options in your init.d script:

FAMOPTS=" -T 0 -l"

> > 4. /etc/init.d/fam restart  ; when you want to get rid of the CD and you
> > can't wait.
>
> Hardly an answer either.

but it works for me...
Typical situation:
right click on Desktop to mount /cdrom
... open files in natuilus from this CD, say is full of pictures...
... close nautilus window ...
... right-click on CD icon to eject...
... error dialog pops up saying "Device is Busy" when you click on
Details ...
... open terminal and "sudo /etc/init.d/fam stop" ...
... right-click on CD icon to eject...
... from termina again "sudo /etc/init.d/fam start" ...

back to normal...

yeah, FAM sucks. But it is what it is.

> So, this is completely fucked up.

exactly

--
Luis M

lemsx1@latinomixed.com
The only other people who might benefit from Linux8086 would be owners
of PDP/11's and other roomsized computers from the same era. -- Alan Cox

http://www.latinomixed.com/